Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Changing Teacher, Student, and Community Paradigms...

My new position as tech director has me serving a community that has many needs.  The economy here has laid off hundreds of workers from the local mill.  We are also located in one of the most economically depressed congressional districts in the nation.  90% of our students qualify for free and reduced lunch.  We're in a tough spot.

Today I held a technology committee meeting, during which we watched the video below and had a discussion about how to change the mentality of our community. Many in our community believe that technology is a luxury used for diversion rather than a set of tools and skills to be used for learning and success in life.  One teacher reported students telling her that they don't see the point in learning tech-related skills because they will never use technology when they get out of school.  Hearing this was the most eye-opening experience I've had to date.



I suspect that there are many other communities, districts, and schools that face similar issues.

I believe that technology tools and skills can prepare students better for more successful lives and careers in the 21st Century economy.

I have a plan to remedy the situation, but I would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment